Friday, December 9, 2011

Lesson #51 Postage stamps

     This is a Rome postage stamp. Not that I have ever seen one, but apparently, this is what they look like. I have been in Italy for 2 months and have visited 2 post offices and multiple Tabacci shops to search for this elusive stamp.
     You may ask, "What city requires this much effort to find stamps?" The answer is simple: ROME, ITALY!
     Yes, that's right. Rome has run out of stamps. One of the post offices I visited managed to convey this in Italian to me by just looking at me like I was crazy. Granted, I was asking for 20 stamps, but they didn't even have one! The other post office just kept saying finished. And all the tabacci stores that supposedly sell stamps actually don't.


     Instead, all of my postcards have stamps like this! YAY for Vatican City and their postal services. The Vatican is renowned around all of Rome for saving Italian's from their own mail service. Although PosteItaliane, the Italian postal service is ALWAYS crazy busy, no one is actually sending mail from it. The Italians pay their bills direct to the post office, so clearly mail and stamps is not a priority.
     I would just like everyone to appreciate how much of an effort was spent in sending those darn postcards. It took several horrible attempts in Italian, lots of snooty looks, a special trip to Vatican City to buy the stamps and another to send them. So, to all of you who recieved post cards, your welcome!

     So, Lesson #51: Never trust an Italian post office!

No comments:

Post a Comment